• May 23, 2017: Crawfish Farmer Meeting Concerning White Spot Syndrome Virus
There will be a meeting at the LSU AgCenter office in Jennings to discuss the impacts of White Spot Syndrome Virus (WSSV) on crawfish production. Over the past few months ,some farmers have experienced a sudden and drastic reduction in their catch due to this virus which affects only crustetiens. Dr. Greg Lutz, Aquaculture Specialist with the LSU AgCenter, and Dr. John Hawke, an aquatic veterinarian at the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine, will answer questions about WSSV and discuss management alternatives to deal with the problem. Any farmers who think they may have been affected by WSSV or want to learn more about this threat to the industry should plan to attend. The meeting will be at the AgCenter office at 1006 S. Lake Arthur Ave., Jennings, La., beginning at 1 p.m. For more information, contact Francis Guidry, Jeff Davis County Agent, at 337-824-1773 or SW Regional Aquaculture Specialist Mark Shirley at 337-898-4335.
• May 23, 2017: Agronomic Crop Scouting School
Capps Center, MSU, Stoneville, Miss. – Event details
• May 24, 2017: Pipe Planner Training
Lonoke and Prairie counties, Ark. Time and location to be determined. For more information, contact Jenny Ross at email@example.com.
• May 25, 2017: Agronomic Crop Scouting School
Coahoma County Extension Office, Clarksdale, Miss. – Event details
• May 25, 2017: Vermilion Parish Rice Tour
Klondike, La., area – Event details
• May 31, 2017: Southwest Louisiana Rice Tour
Fenton, La. – Event details
• May 31, 2017: Deadline to submit Rice Consultant of the Year nomination
Click here for nomination form and more information.
• June 1, 2017: Pipe Planner Training
St. Francis County, Ark. East Arkansas Community College beginning at 9 a.m. For more information, contact Cody Griffin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• June 1, 2017: Evangeline Rice Field Day
Mamou area, La. – Event details
• June 1, 2017: Arkansas Row Crop Pest Scouting School
Hoot’s Barbecue, McGehee, Ark. The program will focus on insects and diseases in cotton, corn, soybean, rice and grain sorghum. The program is primarily designed for consultants and crop scouts, but everyone is welcome – Event details
• June 2, 2017: Arkansas Row Crop Pest Scouting School
Craighead County Extension Office, Jonesboro, Ark. The program will focus on insects and diseases in cotton, corn, soybean, rice and grain sorghum. The program is primarily designed for consultants and crop scouts, but everyone is welcome – Event details
• June 6-8, 2017: Rice Market & Technology Convention
Miami, Fla., hosted by the U.S. Rice Producers Association – Event details
• June 8-9, 2017: Fourth Annual Mid-South Agricultural and Environmental Law Conference
Memphis, Tenn. – Event details
• June 13-16, 2017: USA Rice Millers’ Association Annual Convention
Omni LaCosta Resort, Carlsbad, Calif. For more information, visit usarice.com/rmaconvention or contact Jeanette Davis at email@example.com.
• June 14, 2017: LSU AgCenter Rice Research Station South Farm Field Day/Acadia Parish Field Day
Rice Research Station South Farm, Crowley, La. Rice insect, disease, weed and agronomics as well as general soybean production will be covered by LSU AgCenter specialists. The field day will begin at 8:30 a.m. with a field tour starting around 9:30 a.m. – Event details – Questions? Contact JPHebert@agcenter.lsu.edu
• June 27, 2017: Texas A&M Rice Field Day
David R. Wintermann Rice Research Station, Eagle Lake, Texas. This is a late-afternoon event starting at 4 p.m. with dinner provided afterward. Contact Dr. Ted Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org
• June 27, 2017: Horizon Ag Field Tour
Richards Farms, Kaplan, La. Come out and see a 20-acre commercial-sized field of PVL01, the first Provisia variety released by Louisiana State University AgCenter’s rice breeding program. The variety is being developed in cooperation with BASF, which owns the Provisia trait and accompanying Provisia herbicide. Horizon Ag will market Provisia varieties as it has Clearfield inbred (non-hybrid) varieties. The Provisia field historically had had a weedy rice problem so attendees can view the weed control. Registration at 4:30 p.m.; crop tour at 5 p.m., followed by dinner. Contact Michael Fruge at email@example.com
• June 28, 2017: H. Rouse Caffey Rice Research Station Field Day
Louisiana State University AgCenter, Crowley, La. Tours begin at 7:15 a.m., with the last trailer leaving at 9 a.m. Indoor presentations follow field tours – Event details
• July 6, 2017: St. Landry Rice and Soybean Field Tour
Charles Fontenot Farm near Palmetto, La. – Event details
• July 11, 2017: Southeast Texas RiceTec Field Day
Winnie-Stowell Community Building, 335 South Park, Winnie, Texas. Registration at 3:30 p.m., followed by a bus tour at 4 p.m. Dinner and speakers follow the tour at the Winnie-Stowell Community Building. For more information, contact Derrol Grymes, RiceTec district sales manager, at 281-381-9371 or firstname.lastname@example.org;
• July 12, 2017: Northeast Louisiana Rice Field Day
Oak Ridge and Rayville, La., 9 a.m.-noon. The Northeast Louisiana Rice Field Day will begin in the Oak Ridge area and conclude at the Rayville Civic Center – Event details – For more information, contact Keith Collins at 318-728-3216 or R. Keith Collins
• July 13, 2017: Texas A&M Rice Field Day
Texas A&M AgriLife Beaumont Research Center, Beaumont, Texas. Program starts at 8 a.m., with lunch provided afterward. Contact Dr. Ted Wilson at email@example.com
• July 18, 2017: Northeast Region Rolling Crop Field Tour
Morehouse, La. Check back later for more information.
• July 20, 2017: Louisiana RiceTec Field Day
Angelina Plantation Office, 8318 Hwy 565, Monterey, La. Registration starts at 4 p.m., followed by tour, presentations and dinner. For more information, contact Mike Worthington, RiceTec district sales manager, at 337-263-4297 or MWorthington@ricetec.com
• Aug. 2, 2017: Mississippi Field Day/Farm Bureau Grower Meeting
Delta Branch Experiment Station, Capps Center, Stoneville, Miss. Contact Dr. Bobby Golden at 662-769-0274 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Aug. 3, 2017: RiceTec Arkansas Field Day
15329 Hwy 1, Harrisburg, Ark. Contact Dr. Brian Ottis of RiceTec at 573-391-0366 or email@example.com
• Aug. 4, 2017: University of Arkansas Rice Expo
Grand Prairie Center, Stuttgart, Ark. Tours of field trials at the Rice Research and Experiment Station will depart from the Grand Prairie Center – Event details
• Aug. 9, 2017: University of California Weedy Rice Workshop
Yuba City, 9 a.m.-noon. More information, including venue location, to follow
• Aug. 10, 2017: University of California Weedy Rice Workshop
Colusa, 9 a.m.-noon. More information, including venue location, to follow
• Aug. 24, 2017: Missouri Rice Field Day
Missouri Rice Research Farm, Malden, Mo. Check back later for more information.
• Aug. 30, 2017: California Rice Experiment Station Field Day
Biggs, Calif. Check back later for more information.
• Aug. 31, 2017: Fisher Delta Research Center Field Day
Portageville, Mo. – Event details
• Sept. 15, 2017: Second Annual University of California Rice Weed Course
Rice Experiment Station, Biggs, Calif. Bring your boots as this is an interactive class – Event details
• Dec. 10-12, 2017: 2017 USA Rice Outlook Conference
Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, San Antonio, Texas. For more information, contact Jeanette Davis at 703-236-1447 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Feb. 19-22, 2018: 37th Rice Technical Working Group
The Westin Long Beach, Long Beach, Calif. – Event details
If you have an event you want listed, please send the information to Rice Farming editor Vicky Boyd at email@example.com.