A record crowd is expected from throughout the Western Hemisphere
BY DWIGHT ROBERTS
PRESIDENT AND CHIEF
With the largest buyers of U.S. rice in the region already confirmed to participate, the 2013 edition of the Rice Market & Technology Convention is shaping up to be a major success.
Set for May 28-30, 2013, at the Hilton Miami Downtown, the event has become the largest gathering for the industries of rice farming, milling, trading, research, policy, import-export, equipment and allied businesses of the Western Hemisphere. Initiated and organized by USRPA with support and input from major rice organizations throughout the Americas, we will have something for everyone.
Impressive Speaker Roster
The program includes the confirmed attendance of several important figures.
• George Pope, a marketing specialist and agricultural counselor for USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service who spent extended time in West Africa, will bring a new look at the developing rice markets of Africa, which is experiencing impressive growth in rice consumption.
• Norris Bond, President of Applied Milling Systems, Inc., and a well-known figure worldwide in the design, operation and performance assessment of cereal processing plants, will discuss “Rice Milling in 2030: What Will It Mean For Farmers?”
• Dr. Gilberto Amato, an international advisor in rice technology and a chemical engineer at Brazil’s Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, will discuss new advances with parboiling rice.
• Robert Papanos, principal with The Houston Rice Group, will look at what is ahead in the world rice market, while LSU AgCenter’s Dr. Steve Linscombe will talk about variety developments.
• A representative of the Aceituno Rice Seed Company in Ibague, Colombia, a private company recognized nationally and internationally, will talk about the myths and realities of hybrid rice. Horizon Ag and RiceTec will both discuss their seed development programs and expectations for the future.
• Jim Wiesemeyer, Senior Vice-President for Policy and Trade Issues for Informa Economics Inc., recognized around the world for agricultural economic analysis, will give the opening address.
Breakout sessions on numerous other subjects are being planned where the interaction of participants is strongly encouraged. Participants also will enjoy receptions and opportunities to meet and visit with rice industry contacts from between 35-40 different countries.
Although the conference focuses on the Western Hemisphere, several people from Asia and the European Union have already registered. Exhibit space also is being reserved for Ag Growth International, Buhler Group, Mega Grain Dryers, Rice Market Letter, Grupo Kepler Weber, Industry Machina Zaccaria, Delta Technology Corporation, Daewon GSI and numerous other rice related allied businesses.
Market analysis will be available with the confirmed participation of the Creed Rice Report, Rice Market Letter, Agrotendencias, Live Rice Index and Firstgrain.
The USRPA is proud to play such a responsible role in the organization of this important conference. We appreciate the sincere trust we enjoy from the rice organizations and private companies from so many of the Latin American countries. The Western Hemisphere will always be the target of this convention and will focus on marketing and technology on the farm or at the mill. www.ricemtconvention.com.
The Rice Market & Technology Convention is not affiliated with The Rice Trader or TRT Rice Americas Conference.
For more, visit www.usriceproducers.com.