• By Vicky Boyd
With Canada‘s recent approval, RiceTec is set to launch its FullPage herbicide-tolerant rice system for the 2020 season.
The Alvin, Texas, hybrid rice developer showed off two new FullPage hybrids as well as a new medium-grain conventional hybrid and other experimental products at its recent Arkansas field day in Harrisburg.
For 2020, RiceTec will have the FullPage long grains, RT7321 FP and RT7521 FP, available in commercial quantities.
RT7321 FP is similar in grain quality, yield and maturity to the conventional hybrid, XP753. RT7521 FP is similar in grain quality, yield and maturity to Gemini 214 CL, a Clearfield hybrid.
With the commercialization of the FullPage system, RiceTec will begin phasing out its Clearfield hybrid offerings, such as Clearfield XL745, Gemini 214 CL and RT 7311 Clearfield.
FullPage hybrids are paired with the imazethapyr and imazamox herbicides, Preface and Postscript, respectively, from Adama. They control of a number of grasses and broadleaves as well as weedy rice.
Because each of the hybrid parents contains the herbicide trait, the hybrid offspring have increased imazethapyr tolerance.
That helps significantly reduce crop response due to accidental application overlaps or when a cold snap occurs shortly after application, said Andy Kendig, herbicide development lead with Adama.
As with any rice cultivar, he recommends starting with a residual preplant herbicide. One of his favorites is a premix of Sharpen and clomazone.
The first application of Preface is made on one- to two-leaf rice, followed by a second application 10-14 days later. Growers should then flood within four days of the second application.
Although the label states a use rate of 4-6 ounces, Kendig said he prefers the 6-ounce rate to optimize weed control.
As with other traited technologies, the FullPage system will carry a stewardship agreement.
Among the key components are:
1. Rotate crops.
2. Rotate modes of action.
3. Spray on time.
4. Optimize water management.
5. Do not save seed
6. Preface and Postscript are the only IMI herbicides that may be used on FullPage rice
“Look at what’s happening in other crops with Palmer pigweed, barnyardgrass in rice and glyphosate-resistant barnyardgrass in Tennessee,” Kendig said. “This stuff is really scary, so stewardship is critical. And there’s no better rotational crop than soybeans.”
Products in the pipeline
Outside of the FullPage system, RiceTec showcased a number of other hybrids.
• RT3201 – a medium-grain hybrid with a maturity 10 days earlier than Jupier and about five days earlier than Titan. It has milling quality similar to Titan.
• EXP7774 – a long-grain hybrid with milling and stability similar to XP760. But it matures about two days earlier and is slightly shorter than XP760.
• EXP7775 – a long-grain hybrid similar to XP753 but with slightly higher yields. The experimental also has good straw strength.
• EXP7776 – is similar to Clearfield XL745 but without the herbicide trait. The experimental matures about three days later than XL745 and has better straw strength.